CPUT’s Virtual Open Day is now open! Click here to visit >>>


What are the contact details of the DU?

District 6 Campus: Dellicia de VosTel: 021 460-9071 Bellville Campus: Pumeza Magogotya Tel: 021 953-8447 Email address: disabilityunit@cput.ac.za Website: https://www.cput.ac.za/services/disability/prospective Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CPUTDisabilityUnit2016/

Can I study if I have a disability?

Yes, on condition that you meet the minimum requirements.

Where do I check what the minimum requirements are?

Online, under faculties - look for the qualification that you are interested in and then look for minimum requirements.

How do I apply at CPUT?

Please see our website or click on this link http://www.cput.ac.za/study/apply for further information.

Does the DU provide services to with staff with disabilities?

No, all staff matters are under the ambit of the Human Capital department.

What does the Disability Unit do?

Our services – we provide:

  • Support to students with disabilities and support to lecturers in working with students with disabilities
  • Language capturer for students who are Deaf or Hearing Impaired
  • Group or one-one training on specialised software programs and/or assistive devices
  • Assessments of students with disabilities’ needs on all campuses
  • Applications and recommendations for reasonable accommodation and exam concessions for students with disabilities.
  • Inputs into policy development
  • Outreach and marketing
  • Research and Advocacy services
  • Academic assistance during assessments
  • Awareness raising and sharing of best practices
  • Resource Centre and labs with short-term loan devices, specialised devices and software

What assistive devices are available to students to support them in their academic development?

Hardware available at DU labs:

  • Large screen computer monitors– for students with a visual impairment
  • Scanners – to enable students to scan their work and save it in document or audio format
  • Magnifiers – for students with a visual impairment
  • Braille embosser – for students with blindness in order to convert documents into Braille format
  • Special large font keyboards – for students with visual impairment (in yellow and black, or black and white keyboards ensuring high contrast)
  • Digital recorders – for students with physical challenges to enable them to record lectures and write notes at a later stage and at their own pace

How can I access the services of the DU?

Registered students can request an appointment on disabilityunit@cput.ac.za An assessment will follow and you need to bring all medical documents with. No payment is required for accessing the services at the DU.

Why should I consider disclosing my disability?

We can assist more effectively if we know about your disability.

What does it cost to study at CPUT?

You can calculate the fees when you process your application form – information on the link http://www.cput.ac.za/study/apply.

Can the DU help me with the fees?

No - the DU does not have any funding for fees for courses as it is not a financial institution.

Can I apply for a NSFAS bursary?

Yes provided that you can submit a letter from your Doctor to confirm your disability and, that your parents' combined annual gross salary satisfies NSFAS means test.

Does the DU handle the finances for students with disabilities?

No, we do not deal with the student finances as CPUT has a financial aid office to assist students.

How do I apply for residence?

When you submit your application form then it is very important to also apply for accommodation in the residences if you need accommodation. Please specify your disability so that the most suitable accommodation can be considered.

Will the DU help me with the application process?

Yes, we can help you complete the application.

How do I apply?

You can follow our step-by-step guidelines on the website http://www.cput.ac.za/study/apply.

How will I study without the assistive devices and software that I had access to at my school?

We have a fully equipped lab on the Cape Town campus and one on the Bellville campus with computers and assistive devices that will help you. We also have computers that have the software installed, on all our other campuses.

I had extra time when I was at my school – what do I do now?

The DU will assess your requirements and assist you with extra time for exams and tests. You will have to provide the necessary documentation, i.e. Dr’s recommendations and/or exam concession letters received at school in order for us to process your application for extra time.

Does CPUT provide facilitators in the residence?

There are unfortunately no resources for a personal facilitator.

Does the Disability Unit provide transport to students with disabilities?

No we do not have the resources to do so. Students not on residence usually sign up with Dial-a-ride for transport to campus.

What is Universal Design for Learning (UDL)

The idea of “Universal Design” is a method of designing course materials, content, and instruction to benefit all learners. Instead of adapting or retrofitting a course to a specific audience, universal design emphasizes environments that are accessible to everyone regardless of ability.